Senior Information Center

When do I need to enroll in Medicare?
Most people will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A; if you are not working, you should enroll in Part B 3 months before your 65th birthday, the month of your birthday or up to 3 months after your birthday.

I’m still working after age 65; must I enroll in Medicare Part B?
Check with your benefits administrator at work to determine if your employer health plan requires you to enroll in Part B; you may be able to delay enrolling in Part B until you retire without penalty.

I have Medicare Supplement Insurance. Can I change plans or companies?
You can but the new plan or company may not write a policy for you if you have any serious health conditions and you may have a waiting period for pre-existing conditions.

When does my “open enrollment” period for Medicare A & B start?
Open enrollment lasts for 6 months beginning on the first day of the month in which the individual is 65 years of age and enrolled in Medicare Part B.

I’m under 65 but have Medicare because I am disabled. What are my options for supplemental insurance?
Some individuals may qualify for coverage with a Medicare Advantage Plan.  The companies that offer Medicare supplement policies to people over age 65 also offer coverage to those under age 65 in certain instances.

The following Medicare rates for individuals that are under 65 and disabled have been approved by the Office of the Commissioner of Securities and Insurance.

Who can I call for further help enrolling in Medicare Part D?
SHIP 1-800-551-3191

Do I have a local resource for help with Medicare issues?
Yes- the SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Program) has local counselors in your area to help with a wide variety of Medicare and other Seniors issues.